Elephant Park will be the largest park to be created in 70 years, with over half the development devoted to green space. It will breathe new life into an already thriving community – offering locals not just a new park to relax in, but plenty of other amenities too.
Here’s more details about what to expect from this exciting new development.
Elephant Park and the Community
- Bringing more greenery to the area. Elephant Park will be open to everyone and will feature some mature trees retained from the Heygate Estate (which stood there previously). Most of the area will be dedicated to green, open space for the community to relax in.
- New children’s park. Families are a top priority for the developers, which is why a new play-park has been incorporated into the designs. The play walk at the east end of the park offers a range of ‘challenges’ for kids, such as climbing areas, ropes, ladders and slides, plus a sandpit for younger children. Natural play is also recognised as important, which is why the surrounding area has been landscaped to encourage this; and there’s a water play area too.
- Performance area. Elephant Park also features a performance space that can be used for a variety of different purposes throughout the year, and an events and activities programme has been created to enhance the sense of community and attract more people to the area. The park is on offer to local schools and groups to use for lessons, meetings and other events.
- Art, eating and fashion at The Artworks. The Artworks is a pop-up retail space within the park, which can be used by a variety of different businesses. Located on the north side of the park, it’s where residents can find a range of street foods on offer, art & craft studios, fashion boutiques and lots more.
- New homes. In addition to a fantastic new green space and amenities, 3,000 new homes are being built, and 25% will be affordable housing. Set within the park, the properties will offer residents easy access to the restaurants, shops and play areas in the vicinity, not to mention pleasant views across the green space. Apartments near the top of South Gardens and West Grove will enjoy impressive views over the city.
- Shopping zone. Elephant Park features 100,000 sq ft of retail and leisure space, with support packages available to support local businesses and help them to flourish. It’s believed that a wide range of shops will be in place when the development is complete; not to mention health and wellbeing facilities too (such as a local fitness centre).
- Special events. The impressive events programme means there’s plenty of entertainment for people of all ages; from summer storytelling and Easter egg hunts, to outdoor cinema nights and useful learning sessions. Many events are free to attend, but some require booking.
- It’s eco-friendly. Elephant Park has the distinction of being the country’s first Climate Positive development; which means it’s been recognised for promoting sustainability within a large-scale urban community. Hopefully it will inspire future developments in the capital to adopt the same eco-friendly approach.