Southwark is one of London’s most popular locations for renters, and when you examine the range of attractions and amenities on offer, it’s not hard to see why. In fact, in 2014, it was named one of the country’s best places to live in The Sunday Times, and in 2018, Bermondsey in Southwark came out as the best place to live in London.
If you’re considering renting here, there’s never been a better time to do so. Here’s a list of all the great benefits to renting a property in Southwark right now.
Top Reasons to Rent in Southwark
- Proximity to the river. Southwark has an enviable position on the banks of the river Thames, and residents can enjoy an afternoon stroll along one of the city’s most scenic riverside walking routes. You’re also only a few minutes’ stroll from some of London’s best loved attractions, such as HMS Belfast, Shakespeare’s Globe, the Tate Modern and Tower Bridge.
- Easy to get around. Want to be well connected in the capital? If so, Southwark is hard to beat. You’ll find three Tube stations on your doorstep; London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee lines), Southwark (Jubilee line) and Borough (Northern line). If that wasn’t enough, there are also numerous buses in operation across Southwark, taking you all over the city.
- Foodie paradise. Whether you love fine dining or browsing for ingredients at the market, you’re spoiled for choice here. Borough Market is Southwark’s most famous gastronomic landmark, which sells a vast array of fresh produce and street food. In this area you’ll also find several other popular restaurants, and for a touch of high-end eating, the restaurant at The Shard is an unforgettable culinary experience.
- Plenty of greenery. Southwark is in the heart of the city, but despite that fact, it’s one of London’s greenest boroughs. Rent a property here, and you’ll find that you’re surrounded by 130 parks and green spaces in total, including the popular Dulwich Park, which has sports courts, a café and a boating lake.
- Wide range of properties. The rental market is thriving in Southwark, which means there are plenty of attractive properties on the market for you to choose from. For those on a more generous budget, the new-build developments close to the Thames offer incredible views of the city, not to mention spacious, modern accommodation throughout. There are also many more moderately priced rental properties in the area; including apartments in converted Georgian or Victorian buildings (great if you love period features), and modern studio flats.
As if that wasn’t enough, when you rent in Southwark, you’ll also enjoy:
- Historic setting. It’s one of the city’s most historic locations, and there are plenty of sites of interest in the area.
- Good schools. Southwark has several high performing schools; both secondary and primary. If you’ve got children, this is likely to be welcome news.
- Stay healthy. There are several gyms, fitness and sports centres in the area; though of course, if you prefer running outside for free, you can do so along the riverside route.